Belgrath19

Oct 28, 2018
Very strange. I've not seen any issues with any of the platforms, including Ubuntu. You might want to check perms on your system. It sounds like Ren'Py might be having some trouble writing the file that stores the game's persistence.
Well what perms should I check? All the other Ren'Py games remember the settings! It has full access. Even SE Linux has it set for full access to it's own folder and the /home[users]/.renpy/BetweenTwoWorlds-1623991542.

HiP1

Dec 3, 2023
a bit disappointed. had potential. writing is good, banter can be funny.
very slow start, chill even, which is ok, but then once it starts, it rushes at breakneck speed suddenly.

it's weird that only an evil MC gets closer to Kaylee and uses her abilities... a good MC could just ask her to maintain everyone's morale high enough so they don't lose hope/motivation.

MC can get a gun and gives it to Emily, but it is never seen ever again afterwards when there are fights where it could be used.

and that chap 9 ending was stupid... why did Hannah and MC jumped in the portal instead of telling the girls to get out ? why did they open the portal during the day instead of waiting for the cover of night ?
we already know that the genie in the ring will bail them out next chapter anyway. though there is an opportunity here to make use of the female orc instead of just making her a random useless encounter.
Oscar didn't need to stay with the captured party. he could have acted like a dog and run away pretending to be frightened and instead go to MC. mercs wouldn't waste time chasing a dog.

Getting better clothes with better protection against Alorine from the Far doesn't matter, as clothes can just be removed from a wave of the hand as we saw in the lewd scenes... Alorine can just do the same during the final fight.

on the solo route, Hannah is not allowed to go with MC to see Alora, that's stupid too as she is needed to discuss the kiss and Alora is ok with Hannah knowing. there was zero good reason for Hannah not to come.

HiP1

Dec 3, 2023
every chapter cliffhanger is one girl getting captured. now for the final cliffhanger, everyone gets captured ? some level of variety would have been appreciated.
if you can't think of a good cliffhanger, you can also just skip having one. cliffhangers should not be mandatory every update. players and fans are already invested in the story, they will come back anyway. having bad cliffhangers that will only get resolved after anywhere between 6 months to a year is just bad and pisses off the player.

As UnoriginalUserName points out, there are multiple paths. With sufficient encouragement, MC is able to get his magic to work. However, there is a difference in situation happening. No one is actively working to suppress the MC's magic while in the Fae realm. It's just a side effect of the area, and it's new to him. At the end of the chapter, he's actively being prevented by someone with more experience than MC has.
MC is supposed to contain the magic of his whole world.... he has never demonstrated any kind of peak power at all, even the disintegration ray thing was a normal spell, it didn't even damage anything behind the target and it drained almost all of MC's power.
how can a regular mage, even if more experienced, prevent the magic of a whole world from manifesting ?

Uh... what? Come on, they just discovered she has some skills. How much and to what extent, they haven't got a clue, she is basically still a level zero.
Besides, you're really going to depend on her being able to use those skills in the thick of a fight with zero experience in using said skills and not even knowing which ones she has?
It's almost as if they are in a strange new environment that they aren't used to, using abilities that are new to them, and having to deal with situations that were entirely unprepared for
they only bothered to check she has abilities when they witnessed it... MC had a clue long before, they should have tested it. heck, they should have tested it on the very first day... assuming she had nothing was completely stupid, after they saw even Oscar got something while not being a player. having her be able to defend herself, just in case, should have been a priority. they even let her wander around alone, which is very idiotic given their history of having issues every single day.

training every day after setting up camp to get used to their abilities and test what they have available to them to better prepare for later encounters should have been a very high priority after the shock of being isekai'd.

Emily raises the issue of being prepared only when they are literally at the doorstep of the most powerful being in the history of the world... she never thought of suggesting it way before, after all the encounters they had ? Oscar, being a DM, should have suggested it too. he should have help each of them by listing what he recalled of their characters and test it.
it's not even about having any kind of genius tactician or genius intellect. those are just VERY basic common sense thoughts.

they practice more their sexual skills than their actual useful skills on a daily basis :D sure, it's an AVN... but then it would make more sense to just make it so MC gains more power every time he has sex, and for each additional willing sexual partner her has. then the solo route would be about having sex more often, and it being more intense, while the harem would be about having it be diverse and exotic. :)

608xperience

Game Developer
Apr 18, 2023
Well what perms should I check? All the other Ren'Py games remember the settings! It has full access. Even SE Linux has it set for full access to it's own folder and the /home[users]/.renpy/BetweenTwoWorlds-1623991542.
Check in the game's save folder and make sure the 'persistent' file has 644 perms. Also check in the Ren'Py specific save folder for the game for the same file/perms. If that's fine, this is seemingly a Fedora problem. You're the only person I've seen yet that has reported an issue with the game saving state across sessions.

608xperience

Game Developer
Apr 18, 2023
Also, if you're playing with mods installed, the first thing I'd be doing in the face of problems would be to remove the mod and see whether the behaviour changes.

Reactions: jaw1986baby

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
All you D&D peeps are looking way too much into it. It's just a game, not a real Pathfinder story... artistic freedom ya know?

Oh, and...
Since this is a 8.x Ren'Py version, there should also be a sync subfolder in /home[users]/.renpy/BetweenTwoWorlds-1623991542

Check that too for permissions. And while you're at it, check the date/timestamp on the persistent file in both the game's saves and those other two locations... (if there's a persistent file in the sync folder that is) and see which is the latest. Ren'Py 8.x has a quirk to load the file with the latest date/timestamp, regardless of in which of these 2 (or 3) locations it resides.

Last edited:

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
and that chap 9 ending was stupid... why did Hannah and MC jumped in the portal instead of telling the girls to get out ?
As has already been pointed out, I guess you're leaving Kenny and Oscar behind? Kind of a dick move.

why did they open the portal during the day instead of waiting for the cover of night ?
What? Yes, "cover of night" matters when using a magical portal to go from a forest and into a prison cell.

we already know that the genie in the ring will bail them out next chapter anyway.
You know that, huh? Weird, since this would be dependent upon previous choices and there are multiple branches in play. Yes, as foreshadowed, the ring WILL come into play for SOME players. Not all. And probably not in the way some would think.

Oscar didn't need to stay with the captured party. he could have acted like a dog and run away pretending to be frightened and instead go to MC. mercs wouldn't waste time chasing a dog.
This would change literally nothing.

Getting better clothes with better protection against Alorine from the Far doesn't matter, as clothes can just be removed from a wave of the hand as we saw in the lewd scenes... Alorine can just do the same during the final fight.
Wow. You're incredibly knowledgeable in the world of magical abilities and narrative storytelling. Teach me, senpai!

on the solo route, Hannah is not allowed to go with MC to see Alora, that's stupid too as she is needed to discuss the kiss and Alora is ok with Hannah knowing. there was zero good reason for Hannah not to come.[/ISPOILER]
Hold on, let me check your profile to see how many things you've written.

Weird. There's nothing. It's almost as if you don't actually understand narrative storytelling.

If Gandalf can send a flock of giant eagles to save the group from the top of the mountain, why not just have those eagles fly Frodo from The Shire directly to Mordor and drop the ring into the fires of Mt Doom from 10,000 feet up? It makes no sense for them to WALK the whole way, right?

It's a story. It's fantasy. It's not real. What makes logical sense to a logical person is not going to always make sense in a story. That's the whole purpose of creative writing. Books, movies, plays, etc, would all be insanely short and incredibly boring if everything was always done "correctly", and that is what you seem to be failing to realize.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
As has already been pointed out, I guess you're leaving Kenny and Oscar behind? Kind of a dick move.
There's a gay joke there somewhere...

What? Yes, "cover of night" matters when using a magical portal to go from a forest and into a prison cell.
Cmon, maybe he doesn't understand how guard shifts work.

You know that, huh? Weird, since this would be dependent upon previous choices and there are multiple branches in play. Yes, as foreshadowed, the ring WILL come into play for SOME players. Not all. And probably not in the way some would think.
Owlbear? OWLBEAR!!!

If Gandalf can send a flock of giant eagles to save the group from the top of the mountain, why not just have those eagles fly Frodo from The Shire directly to Mordor and drop the ring into the fires of Mt Doom from 10,000 feet up? It makes no sense for them to WALK the whole way, right?
What about a catapult?
Catapult.gif

Wouldn't feel like D&D at all if everyone didn't turn into a rules lawyer at the end of the campaign. :sneaky:
Most of my uh..."spirited" campaigns ended with thrown food at the very least. One actually ended with a flipped table and a guy trying to fight the DM because of a mimic right at the very end.

• Haha
Reactions: HiP1

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
TBF while in the Shire the Nazgul were actively searching and Gandalf was late so they went to Bree without him

THEN

during the Balrog fight he flat out told them

FLY

You fools

Brom Destroyer

Jan 8, 2018
Well, I thought this might be a good game. Then I encountered the extortion interlude between chapter 1 and 2, where the developer first hints that this site has pirated this game and unless money is payed to steam then the integrity of game files is not guaranteed, and then, as expected, there are exceptions every other scene. Obviously this wasn't pirated... And if you need money that bad... EARN IT.

• Angry
Reactions: Fap2766

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Well, I thought this might be a good game. Then I encountered the extortion interlude between chapter 1 and 2, where the developer first hints that this site has pirated this game and unless money is payed to steam then the integrity of game files is not guaranteed, and then, as expected, there are exceptions every other scene. Obviously this wasn't pirated... And if you need money that bad... EARN IT.
pretty sure if that was the case or not a joke more people would of be bringing that up lol. so i'm gonna have to
1726805269045.png

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
1) The site HAS pirated the game. That's not a hint, it's a fact.
2) Getting the files from anywhere that isn't supplied directly by me means I cannot guarantee those are safe. In fact, this very site had to deal with that very issue just a few months ago. MULTIPLE games had malware injected into them and then were "leaked" to F95. A LOT of players were impacted.
3) No idea what "exceptions every other scene" means.
4) Again, it was obviously pirated.

Now, I actually appreciate and support the F95 community. That's why when someone DOES leak my files, I replace those files with legitimate ones. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd rather my fans get a clean pirated copy and enjoy the game, than get infected by malware by some asshole.

That being said, I see you waited SIX AND A HALF YEARS to make your first ever comment on F95. I'm thrilled to have popped your cherry. Now, kindly go fuck yourself.

Edit to add: This is one of the lines in the "extortion interlude" between chapters 1 and 2:

na "You can support via Steam, Itch.io, Patreon, or SubscribeStar. If you can't, that's fine too! Just enjoy the game!"

Man, I REALLY suck at extortion. Telling people that if they can't afford to buy or support the game to just enjoy playing it? I'd never make it as a politician.

Last edited:

Belgrath19

Oct 28, 2018
Thanks 608xperience & FaceCrap, but you missed I have done all of that.

As a Telecom [now Telsra(Sydney Australia)] tech back in 1989 I was taught Unix for exchange maintenance.
Have used Red Hat Linux since June 1996 (Red Hat 3.0.3), made my main OS in 1998 and have used other builds of Linux (Debian, Arch, etc)
I got my Red Hat Certified Engineer back in 2009.

I have 108 other Ren'py games installed, so when 1 doesn't remember setting I think it's time to tell someone.

I hope you like the GIMP edit of the screenshot to make the /home/home/ directory. :p Nemo.png

608xperience

Game Developer
Apr 18, 2023
Thanks 608xperience & FaceCrap, but you missed I have done all of that.
I was specifically asked which perms to check. I informed which file needs which perms.

Impressive *NIX chest-puffery, to be sure. We're both old as fuckin' dirt and my first admin job was in … Nobody cares.
I have 108 other Ren'py games installed, so when 1 doesn't remember setting I think it's time to tell someone.
Like I already wrote, you're literally the first person to see a problem with the game managing its persistence. That, alas, makes it a you problem. The persistence is 100% vanilla Ren'Py in this game. The only thing I can think of is if you got the game from unofficial download sources, the code may not be doing what one expects it should.

I hope it gets sorted for you. Gotta be annoying.

Dr. Mick

Nov 21, 2017
1) The site HAS pirated the game. That's not a hint, it's a fact.
2) Getting the files from anywhere that isn't supplied directly by me means I cannot guarantee those are safe. In fact, this very site had to deal with that very issue just a few months ago. MULTIPLE games had malware injected into them and then were "leaked" to F95. A LOT of players were impacted.
3) No idea what "exceptions every other scene" means.
4) Again, it was obviously pirated.

Now, I actually appreciate and support the F95 community. That's why when someone DOES leak my files, I replace those files with legitimate ones. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd rather my fans get a clean pirated copy and enjoy the game, than get infected by malware by some asshole.

That being said, I see you waited SIX AND A HALF YEARS to make your first ever comment on F95. I'm thrilled to have popped your cherry. Now, kindly go fuck yourself.

Edit to add: This is one of the lines in the "extortion interlude" between chapters 1 and 2:

na "You can support via Steam, Itch.io, Patreon, or SubscribeStar. If you can't, that's fine too! Just enjoy the game!"

Man, I REALLY suck at extortion. Telling people that if they can't afford to buy or support the game to just enjoy playing it? I'd never make it as a politician.
While reading this, I pictured Sky, Hannah, and Emma standing next to each other, going back and forth to deliver this as a PSA. :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: Rehwyn
4.40 star(s) 61 Votes